Electrical problems can be dangerous if not handled properly. Fortunately, there are indications of electrical issues in the home, so you can take steps to have them repaired. Read on to learn five common signs of an electrical problem and why it’s necessary to hire a professional electrician to take care of them.

Flickering Lights are Signs of an Electrical Problem

If lights in your home flicker or dim without explanation, it could signify a loose connection or wiring issue within the circuit. Attempt a fix by tightening the bulbs or replacing them entirely. If the fixture still flickers, the fixture itself may need to be replaced. If you’re unsure of a solution, contact a professional electrician to troubleshoot the lights and make repairs.

Signs of an Electrical Problem: Sparking Outlets

Electrical outlets provide power to our television, computers, and household appliances. One common sign of electrical trouble is sparking outlets. Sparks from an outlet are likely due to a damaged plug or wire or an overloaded circuit. Continuing to use the outlet could result in further damage to electronics or appliances.

Frequent Circuit Breaker Trips

If you find yourself frequently resetting tripped circuit breakers or replacing fuses, it could indicate an overload on one or more circuits in your home. Often-overloaded circuits might mean adding additional outlets or upgrading your wiring system altogether. Hire a professional electrician to make these upgrades, as it could prevent fires and other disasters from occurring in your home.

Hot Electrical Outlets

Another sign that something is amiss with your electrical system is light switches or electrical outlets that feel hot to the touch. Warm outlets could indicate a short circuit somewhere in the wiring system. Unplug appliances or electronics, and don’t use the outlet until an electrician can make repairs.

A Burning Smell

A burning smell from an outlet in your house could signify faulty wiring or an overloaded circuit, both of which require repairs. A burning odor may smell like melting plastic; this often means the insulation covering a wire is damaged or melting and can increase the risk of a fire.

No matter what kind of electrical issues you experience at home, hiring a professional electrician is always recommended so repairs are done safely and correctly. Hiring a trained electrician will give you peace of mind knowing that potential hazards are taken care of, and your home is safe.

MD Inspections provides inspections to customers in Houston, Spring, The Woodlands, and most surrounding areas in Texas. Contact us to schedule our services.